Diamond Wire Cutting and Isolation of Cast Iron Pipe at Briars Nose Pumping Station in Hedington, Oxford
- Cut and isolate 2 sections of cast iron water pipe.
- Pipe 450mm in diameter.
- Section 1 located in 3 metre deep trench.
- Section 2 located inside enclosed pumping chamber.
- Cutting equipment to be operated remotely.
- All operatives to be 'Confined Spaces' certified.
- Strict adherence to water industry safety regulations.
- Operations to be undertaken alongside other contractors.
- Work to be completed within a fixed 4 hour period.
- Use of 2 hydro stress wire saws with hydraulic power packs and autonomous three phase generators.
- Equipment tested and positioned prior to water supply being turned off.
- Diamond wire saw operated and powered remotely.
- Cutting equipment not affected by residual water in pipe.
- Standby machinery available on site.
- Wire saw remotely operated negating hand and arm vibration issues.
- Segregation between machinery operation and cutting area ensuring operators not exposed to discharging residual water.
- Reduced noise pollution.
- Pipe severed without water fully drained thus saving approximately 2 hours.
- Equipment set up without having to cease pumping.
- Immediate cutting undertaken once water pumping had ceased.
- Completed within time frame allocated.